Thursday, January 26, 2012

Booking Through Thursday - Writing or Riveting?



If you'd like to join in on Booking Through Thursday, just click the button above.



This week's question...

What’s more important: Good writing? Or a good story?

(Of course, a book should have BOTH, but…)

My answer...

This is a hard one because both go hand in hand. I really don't see how you can have one without the other. There could be great writing but if the story bores me, I won't bother with it. OTOH, if it's a good story but the writing is poor, I won't bother either. Poor writing is distracting (bad grammar, using the wrong names or tenses, misspelled words)can annoy me through the entire book.

If I had to choose one over the other, I guess I'd say good writing is more important but honestly I feel this is one of those Catch 22 questions and you really need both to make a good book.

funny pictures - Cyoot Kitteh of teh Day: Kitteh Sandwich
see more Lolcats and funny pictures, and check out our Socially Awkward Penguin lolz!

7 comments:

  1. I agree with you, but, since we had to choose one, you can find my answer here today. http://gigianns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said it with the Catch 22 label....and I agree, too, that bad writing ruins a good story. Perhaps if the writing is efficient, yet not brilliant, I might vote for story. But here's MY THURSDAY MEMES POST and here’s
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will go with either, sometimes I love love the writing and that makes the story good. While sometimes a good story can have bad writing and i still like it

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really need both.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/01/booking-through-thursday_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want both too, but in the end good writing wins. A book can be about essentially nothing, but if the writing's beautiful, I can fall in love with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do want both, but if I had to choose....

    Hmmm....

    Good writing, I guess....

    Although I could always rewrite a good story....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both would be great, but I can get past bad writing if the story is amazing, but not the other way around.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.