Friday, May 27, 2011

Keepsake Crimes by Laura Childs





Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Publisher:
Berkley

Release Date:
May 2003

Format:
EBook

Carmela Bertrand is taken aback when her husband Shamus Meecham walks out on her. In fact, he quits his job at his family’s bank and decides he wants a whole new life. Carmela decides it’s time for her to get a whole new life too. She doesn’t have much choice since Shamus’ family kicks her out of the house. She opens a scrapbooking store and even holds classes for the women in town who would like to learn how to make their own scrapbooks.

When an associate of Shamus’ turns up dead during a Mardi Gras parade, all eyes focus on him as the prime suspect. However, Shamus has gone missing and Carmela is left to face the scrutiny of the police. Although they are separated, she’s still his wife and the locals are already gossiping that she might be involved too. In an attempt to clear his name, as well as her own, Carmela sets out to investigate.

This is a “new-to-me” author and the first book in the scrapbooking mystery series. It’s an interesting cast of characters with a very likeable heroine. I didn’t particularly like Shamus as the motivation of his character’s actions aren’t very sympathetic. The way he walked out on her to “find himself” left me wondering why she’d even bother to clear his name.

The storyline was a quick and light read. I was very interested to see who the culprit was and I was surprised by it. I’ll definitely be reading the next book in the series.

I love starting cozy mysteries from the start of a series and this was a good one to begin. There were many descriptions of New Orleans and Mardi Gras with a few recipes and scrapbooking tips thrown in too. This is a fun book.

3 out of 5 kitties

For reading challenge:

2011 Cozy Mystery Reading Challenge

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.