Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Moon Looked Down by Dorothy Garlock



Genre: Romance

Sophie Heller and her family escaped Germany and made their home in the small town of Victory, Illinois. It’s wartime and the people of Victory are preparing to send their men off to World War II. When Sophie’s family bar is burnt to the ground, she realizes they are a victim of hatred. Her father refuses to run nor will he report the crimes against them to the police. They quickly learn that hatred doesn’t just go away.

Sophie tries to protect her family, but she’s alone in her fight. Then she meets a local teacher, Cole Ambrose. A physical handicap keeps him from joining the other men in going off to war, which makes him feel more than a little inadequate. His father also holds him responsible for the death of his mother and he’s battling demons of his own.

Cole falls in love with Sophie as soon as he sees her and vows to protect her. He’s not going to let her or her family suffer at the hands of cruelty and prejudice, but he’s afraid his handicap will get in the way. Sophie has no such fears. She plans to marry Cole and make a life with him, until her family is once again threatened and this time she might not be able to help them.

It’s been a long time since I’ve read a book by Dorothy Garlock and she’s as good as she always was. This book sweeps you right into the 1940’s and tugs at your heartstrings. Sophie and Cole are two people readers will really be cheering for and suffer their pain and agony right along with their characters. I’m looking forward to reading her next book.



For reading challenges:

Romance Reading Challenge
Read Your Own Book Reading Challenge

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. I haven't read anything by this author yet. Wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the wonderful review. Here goes another book to my "to read" list.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.