Monday, August 24, 2009

Musing Mondays - Book Series








Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about book series…


Do you prefer to read stand-alone books, or books in series? Do you stick with a series the whole way through or stop after the first instalment? Are there any particular series you enjoy?(question courtesy of Elena)


I don't really have a preference. I enjoy both. There are advantages to reading both types of books. With series books, I get to know the characters and I feel like I'm re-visiting old friends. Some of my favorite series - Cedar Cove by Debbie Macomber, Women's Murder Club by James Patterson and the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich. Those are the three that come to my mind first. Plus, I do enjoy the cozy mystery series and have several that are favorites of mine like the Mrs. Murphy books by Rita Mae Brown and the Joe Grey books by Shirley Rousseau Murphy.

With stand-alones, I can enjoy the single book without worrying what came before or getting everything in the series. There's a place for both in my reading life.

I usually read through all the books in a series (unless I don't like the first couple I've read, then I won't bother continuing). Of course it may take me a long time to catch up. The series I mentioned above, I'm still way behind, but all the unread books are still in my TBR and I fully intend to get to them all :)

One pet peeve that I have to mention about series books - I hate picking up a book that interests me, bring it home only to find that it's part of a series. There could be 10 books prior (I'm obsessive about reading books in order) and I now have to go hunting down the previous ones before I can read the one I just bought. I wish all books that are part of a series would feature that information on their covers. "Book 1, Book 2, etc. etc." At least then, if I pick up book 5, I could decide for myself if I want to invest my time and money in the entire series.



If you'd like to play along with Musing Mondays, just click the button at the top of this post.

funny pictures of cats with captions
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

13 comments:

  1. Great answers. I absolutely cringe when I find out I am starting a book in the middle of a series. I feel like I have totally spoiled so much for myself. I have yet to read the Stephanie Plum series. I am really into the Sue Grafton books. Loved reading your answers.

    That cat picture ROCKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean about picking up a book and then realising it's the 3rd or more in a series. etc. I had that trouble recently. Can spoil what is a very good book! In those cases I could blame myself, if I didn't research it well enough, but not if I just fancied it as an impulse buy!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate that too when you get a book and realise it is half way through a series. Those books should be a lot clearer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kalea_Kane - I've heard alot of good things about the Grafton books, but I've never read them.

    Sassy Brit - Thing is, many people impulse buy and maybe don't have access to the Internet. I think the book jackets should be clearer that this is part of a series and what number it is. Exactly - finding out after the fact that it's part of a series, can spoil a good book.

    Vivienne - Absolutely! It could even be part of the back cover blurb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a preference either. I only stick with series if I'm enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like to read a series in order, mostly because I am a bit obsessive about such things, but I think with a well written series you should be able to jump in at any place and still enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too, I not only read it but I tend to buy the whole series... I also want to read it in order then re-read in order :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you - I HATE reading series books out of order! It doesn't happen often, but when it does it really bugs me.

    I just like books, books and MORE BOOKS! I don't care if they're part of a series or not. Here's my full response.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading series and you captured the reason why when you said it felt like your were visiting old friends. my musings

    ReplyDelete
  10. bermudaonion - I do the same - I'll stick with a series if I like it. I don't see a reason to otherwise.

    Caite - I'm obsessed with starting at the beginning too. I love reading how a character develops through each book.

    Judy - Yep, I buy the whole series too, if it's something I like.

    Susan - Reading out of order really annoys me. LOL

    Bluestocking - I think I'm OCD when it comes to reading series in order.

    Kaye - Exactly, it really feels as if I'm catching up with people I've known for years.

    Bingo - Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have that same pet peeve! I'm behind in the Cedar Cove series!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.