Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Italian Lover by Robert Hellenga


Genre: Fiction

Margot Harrington is an American who lives in Italy with her American lover, Woody. She has written her memoirs in a successful book, The Sixteen Pleasures, which is now being made into a major motion picture. With help from Woody, she writes the screenplay that will be used for the movie, or so she thinks.

The book is set in Florence and the movie’s title is “The Italian Lover”. Margot befriends the actress who will be player her in the film. She’s shocked when she learns that her screenplay is not the one they are using, but instead they have re-written her entire life. Readers are taken behind the scenes of the movie and feel the heartbreak Margot feels when she realizes there is nothing she can do to stop production of the movie.

This book gives a wonderful look at the life in Florence. Readers will feel as if they are really there and experiencing Italy first hand. The characters are well-crafted and come to life on each page. I did find the book to slow down a bit in the middle, but then it picks right up. The Italian Lover is actually a sequel to Hellenga’s book, The Sixteen Pleasures, which I have not read. However, I will be on the lookout for it and future releases by this talented author.

For reading challenges: A to Z Reading Challenge, Read Your Own Book Reading Challenge

4 comments:

  1. I've had The Italian Lover in my TBR pile forever! thanks for the great review. Definitely sounds like it would cure the winter blahs! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really liked the Italian Lover too, I thought it was a great book. Maybe because I always wanted to go to Italy. Great read

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Italian Lover is still sitting on my TBR pile, but I remember really enjoying The Sixteen Pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so good. Sigh...it's still sitting in my tbr pile. I hope to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.