Saturday, January 3, 2009

Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips




Genre: Paranormal

What happens when twelve Greek gods of Olympus take up residence in the same house in modern-day London? Anything and everything! They are all bored by the mortal world and are aging and becoming weaker as time goes by.

There’s Artemis, goddess of hunting, who has become a professional dog walker. Aphrodite (goddess of beauty) is now a telephone sex operator and there’s handsome Apollo (god of the sun) who is a TV psychic. Against their better judgment, they hire the mortal Alice to clean their filthy house. Apollo is immediately taken with Alice, although she’s not his type at all. She’s mortal, for one thing, and for the other she is a plain Jane type. Aphrodite is more his speed and she’s not at all amused by his attraction for Alice. Apollo and Aphrodite come to blows in a war that effects Alice, as well as the entire mortal world.

It’s up to Alice’s friend Neil to save the day. If the world has to depend on Neil to be their hero, it’s in serious trouble. Neil is a meek engineer who can’t even work up the nerve to ask Alice to be his girlfriend. How will he be able to save the world from destruction? With a little help from the Greek gods, of course.

This is a wacky read with the most amazing variety of characters I’ve read in a long time. Marie Phillips combines laughter, fantasy and a touch of romance to get one story that will live on long after the last page is turned. This is Ms. Phillips’ first book and it was a great one. I look forward to reading more from this author.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like such a fun book. I've entered a couple of contests in hopes of winning a copy. Fingers crossed! Have a great day, Yvonne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I hope you can get a copy, it's a fun book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually did win a copy of this but just stuck it on a bookshelf and figured I would get to it "at some point" Your review makes me think I need to look at it sooner. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds funny. Modern (or better to say postmodern) adaptations of the good old Greek myths can be really exciting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does sound like a great one, great review :) I have this on my wish list.

    I like your pink blog! cute ;)
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.