Thursday, September 25, 2008

Booking Through Thursday




What was the most unusual (for you) book you ever read? Either because the book itself was completely from out in left field somewhere, or was a genre you never read, or was the only book available on a long flight… whatever? What (not counting school textbooks, though literature read for classes counts) was furthest outside your usual comfort zone/familiar territory?

And, did you like it? Did it stretch your boundaries? Did you shut it with a shudder the instant you were done? Did it make you think? Have nightmares? Kick off a new obsession?

My Answer:

It would probably be the Book of Lost Things by John Connolly. I read it for a book group discussion. It was compeltely different than anything I ever usually read and I had alot of trouble getting through it. I felt that I had to read the whole thing for the discussion - epecially since I was hosting the discussion.

This book was about a 12 year old and mixed fantasy into it. It was hard to keep up with. I'm not big on fantasy stories in the first place, although I do seem to enjoy books about psychics, ghosts or paranormal romances. This book was so strange, though, and just didn't do it for me.

12 comments:

  1. I'm not big on fantasy stories either. I know what it's like to HAVE to finish a hard read. Happy BTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...not sure I'd be into this one either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably not my cup of tea. After age 12 I've probably read 1/2 of one fantasy novel. Oh well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't sound too bad to me but to each his or her own right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually own this book, but need to sit down and read it. I don't know if i'd like it or not, i don't read much fantasy, but i do like a lot of the ones i have read...

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard really good things about The Book of Lost Things and have been wanting to read it. I'm sorry you didn't like it though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of this book, but I would probably give it a try if I ever came across it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to be in the mood for fantasy, then I can really enjoy it. This is the first I've heard of this book tho... I'll have to keep my eyes and ears open to see if anyone else I know has read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Debbie - one has to be in the right mood for fantasy. Still, this does sound unique.

    Happy BTT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Someone actually recommended this to me before. It seems kinda interesting to me but I like fantasy. Is it real dark?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so true - you really do have to be in the mood to read fantasy. I guess I just wasn't when I had to read it.

    Shannon - Yes, I thought it was really dark.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Someday I'll get around to reading this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.